Thursday 25 February 2016

New Shoes Get Started: Photopgraphy

On Thursday 21st January 2016 established photographer Kate Green led a New Shoes Get Started workshop at mac birmingham but when members of Princes Trust Fairbridge Project entered the first creative session of the year, the shared emotion was apprehension as pointed out by Daisie “the start was a little slow, I thought it was too quiet but it soon warmed up and got better. I think it was just nerves because it was our first introduction.” But as Daisie mentioned, it didn’t take long for the group to get involved, within no time they were exploring  Cannon Hill Park, taking abstract photographs and playing around with Light Painting techniques.

“Photography was really good and got everyone really excited, I enjoyed having fun doing arty things. There was a friendly atmosphere, it was easy to settle and enjoy learning new skills.”





 “I think the light painting was the best bit, it enabled us to work as a team, it broke down barriers for people making us feel more comfortable”

As mentioned by one of the participants, the Light Painting went down a treat, not only was it fun but it allowed participants to practise new skills.

“I learnt the science behind how a camera works”

“It allowed me to experience taking abstract photos, which allowed me to think from different perspectives”

“Today I worked well with another person and worked well in a group which can be difficult for me.”

“Today my confidence developed, I learnt more than I thought I would”

“I allowed myself to develop listening skills. Rather than solely focusing on what I wanted to do, I worked with my partner and listened to their input”





One young person was so inspired they bought a camera the very next day and signed up to one of our photography courses at mac birmingham despite the fact that she had never done photography or taken part in Next Generation projects before.


Feedback from the group stated that the only way the session could have been improved was by making it longer, at which point us at the Next Gen Team dust of our shoulders and do the dougie. Result.


Well done Princes Trust and well done Kate.

No comments:

Post a Comment