Thursday 25 February 2016

New Shoes Get Started: Creative Writing and Poetry



“I wouldn’t call this session creative writing and poetry I would call it freethinking”



Thursday 18th February saw Suriya Roberts-Grey lead a Creative Writing and Poetry workshop as part of New Shoes Get Started at mac birmingham.

The group were introduced to Spoken Word Poetry, some for the first time, and then asked to write and perform their own pieces using their own experiences and opinions. Many of the group admitted that they weren’t given enough opportunities to think freely and said that they enjoyed it very much.

“The best bit was being given time to think & express how I feel about what goes on in life”

“I enjoyed it, today got me stress free and not thinking about bad stuff”

It has been inspiring and has made me want to write about my feelings more”

Everyone who took part felt as though they gained something from the session.

“I left with my own piece of spoken word poetry that I created!”

“It got me to think about how I can say what I’m thinking in a positive way”

“It was well put together and very positive, thank you”

From the reaction of the participants, it’s clear that the arts can be used to effect change within people… and possibly even the world. Well done everyone.


If you’d like to get involved in New Shoes Get Started please visit our website

No comments:

Post a Comment